You know your children best and want the best for them but sometimes you need help with benefits, housing, finding work and child related issues that might be considered out of the reach of a school.
We can help parents, carers and children by offering an advisor called a Better start Worker.
He won’t have all the answers, but he can help you find them by giving you support, information and advice around a range of issues.
HOW THE BETTERSTART WORKER CAN HELP YOU
- Finding out about local groups for you and your child
- Support in getting your child a place in nursery or school
- Support around transition points i.e.: birth, settling into pre-school, school
- Positive parenting such as managing your child’s behaviour and setting boundaries
- Help with benefits, debt and financial difficulties
- Housing problems and homelessness
- Relationship difficulties
- Parent’s well-being and mental health
- Finding work, training and volunteering
- Support for children with disabilities and their families
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM THE BETTERSTART WORKER
- To be respected and listened to in friendly and approachable way
- To meet you 1-1 and usually this meeting lasts about 1 hour
- The Betterstart worker will discuss your family’s needs and agree a plan to support you which may involve referrals to other agencies
HOW CAN YOU USE OUR SERVICES
- You can self-refer by booking an appointment with the Betterstart Worker
- You can ask a health visitor or other professional to refer you to the Betterstart Worker
WHERE CAN WE MEET
- At home
- In the children’s centre
- In the Community
- Any other place that you feel comfortable
St Stephen’s Children’s Centre,
Meadow Place, London, SW8 1XY.
Tel: 0207 735 1540